The Chouinard House | South Pasadena, CA
The Chouinard House was built in 1907 in South Pasadena by Nelbert Murphy Chouinard’s father, Dr. Lea M. Murphy.
Nelbert moved west shortly thereafter and lived in the house until her death in 1969.
The house is a turn of the century Monterrey Colonial Eclectic farm-style house with additions built under Nelbert’s guidance through 1919. In these additions, the architecture changes without any formal regard. Various features such as Batchelder tile affixed to the House, a pond constructed of Batchelder tile, numerous patios, porches and spaces, are highlights.
The interior space has 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, two fireplaces, a library, sitting room and sun porch in addition to the living room, dining room and kitchen. Numerous antique trees and landscaping remain to this day including very large eucalyptus, flowering pear, and palms, among others.
The Chouinard House: Present Day
Subsequent to its purchase by David and Linda Tourjé in 1998, the Chouinard Foundation was formed in 1999. The Chouinard House was voted unanimously by the South Pasadena City Council and Mayor as Cultural Landmark #44 in June of 2000. It has been the private residence of the Tourjé’s since it’s purchase, with all restoration funded by the Tourjé’s only.